20100104

A Proud Asian American

Kevin Lo, Age 8
San Francisco
St. Mary's Day School

Growing up as an Asian in America has allowed me to be an Asian American. As and Asian American, I am able to combine both Chinese and American cultures. As a person of Chinese background, I can speak and write Chinese. I think that it is important to be able to understand Chinese because it allows me to learn about the Chinese culture.

I have a friend named Raymond that helps me learn about my Asian heritage. I like him because he is a friendly person and is always helpful. My friend helps me by encouraging me and competing with me. He gives me a friendly competition to bring out the best in me. He attends the same school as I do. We also attend the same extracurricular activities on the weekends. We always compete for the best grades, however, we always help each other when we need help too. He encourages me by setting goals for me to reach. For example, we would see who would play the piano better during the piano recital.

During the Chinese New Year Festival in Chinatown, Raymond and I decided to learn about Chinese art. We met an old man that was painting pictures with his fingers. We were amazed at his skills. Our ability to speak Chinese aided us when we communicated with the artist. Through our conversation we learned about his background and some Chinese history. It was because Raymond was there with me that I had enough courage to talk to this artist and learn so much from him.

Most of my friends are Asian. This is the fact because I live and go to school in the Chinatown district. However, as I am growing older I am starting to meet some non-Asian Friends. Recently, I met a girl named Juliana. Juliana has blonde hair. She is very nice. She always likes to help people. Since meeting Juliana, I realize that I don't relate differently to my Asian and non-Asian friends. I play with her as I would play with my other friends.

I feel proud to be an Asian growing up in America. I believe that because I am Chinese and being raised in America has allowed me to explore two different cultures at the same time. I feel that I am very lucky to be able to have a Chinese background that has so much culture and history. Thanks to my best friend Raymond, I am able to be the best person that I can be. By writing this essay I hope to share my knowledge and experience as an Asian American to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment