20091016

Don't Worry Be Happy

by Aarushi Karandikar, 5th Grade
Santa Clara CA
Don Callejon School

If I could change just one thing about the world around me, I would change the way people feel about not having enough money. Let me explain, these days I hear and read a lot about the Recession in America. My neighbors, friends, and people on T.V. all sound worried, sad, and anxious. This is what I want to change.

I want to tell people that it is possible to be happy even in in these harsh times I know I am a kid and I can’t solve problems like people losing their jobs and homes. But, I can share my plan for finding more happiness in the little things which don’t need money.

Yes, I have a plan for happiness and the best part about it is that its absolutely FREE!! Reading books from the library is free (good for the mind), playing in the park with friends is free (good for the body), picnics with family are free (good for the soul), and the list of free things which make you happy can go on and on. I would also like to share tips on saving money during harsh times. For example, small birthday parties, keeping only a few gifts and regifting the rest, recycling, walking or biking whenever possible instead of using the car, wearing an extra sweater instead of switching on the heater, cozying up with family and popcorn to watch a DVD at home instead of going to the movies, etc. These tips are simple tings anyone can follow.

Being an Indian-American I know things here in America are not as bad as it gets in many developing nations. Many people in the world are poorer than people here will ever be. It’s just that inspite of being poor, they have learned to be happy. I see this whenever I visit India. This is better than having a lot toys and yet being unhappy because your neighbor has the latest Wii game and you don’t. Growing up with parents born and raised in India, I know how to count my blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment