20091129

The Faces of Winning

Anh Cao, Age 11
San Rafael CA
Coleman Elementary School

There are many faces of winning. We usually think of winners being rich and famous or having a ton of trophies or medals. We usually imagine winners as athletes or celebrities. But there is also a private kind of winner. For example, being a good citizen or doing a good deed. You can also be winner by practicing and trying your best at something you love, like sports or video games. For me, winning is endurance and always having a sense of an accomplishment. It's achieving a goal. Winning has had a big influence on my life.

When I was born in Viet Nam, my parents were amazed by my appearance. I had blond hair and fair skin. Nobody knew what was wrong with me. My mom and dad did extensive research and found out that I have a rare condition called albinism. I would grow up visually impaired, light pigmented and sensitive to sunlight. They did everything so I could have a better life and proper care. They decided it would be best for me to come to the US of A. I moved to America when I was 3 years old.

It wasn't easy for me when I started school here. First of all, it's pretty hard imagining a white Asian. Secondly, I didn't know any English. I had to work harder than everyone else just to become equal. Making friends and socializing were extremely difficult. Playing sports was also a challenge because it was hard for me to focus on fast moving objects. Despite all these social and academic obstacles, I was officially designated Fully English Proficient by second grade. I also had lots of buddies.

When I moved to Marin, school became easier because I was given a lot of visual aides, but it was also difficult and challenging because it was embarrassing to use them. I didn't want people to think I was different and couldn't do everything they do. Today I write, draw, play piano, and read, read, read. In fact, I am a book-a-holic. I have many friends who are all different and who come from all over the world. They don't see me as being different. So I have already won a lot in life.

Fortunately, I didn't have to do it all by myself. I had a team of relatives in Viet Nam and America who always helped and supported me. My parents are the most important part of my team, but I have also had great teachers, and friends. I had to do the work, but they taught me responsibility and gave me advice and support.

Today I am proud to be of the Vietnamese and the American culture. But I am not done yet. I really want to go to Princeton University, make honor roll, and work hard to become an author or a geneticist, so I can help other people who have my condition. Besides, DNA is cool.

So, as you can see, there are many kinds of winning, both public and private kinds. Who knows what you can do if you work to follow your dreams. Why not shoot for the stars?!

No comments:

Post a Comment